1.04.2014

The Boleyn Deceit ~ Laura Andersen

Publisher: Ballantine Books
Year: 2013
Pages: 416
Rating: ««««

Book Blurb:
Henry IX, known as William, is the son of Anne Boleyn and now the leader of England, his regency period finally at an end. His newfound power, however, comes with the looming specter of war with the other major powers of Europe, with strategic alliances that must be forged on both the battlefield and in the bedroom, and with a court, severed by religion, rife with plots to take over the throne. Will trusts only three people: his older sister, Elizabeth; his best friend and loyal counselor, Dominic; and Minuette, a young orphan raised as a royal ward by Anne Boleyn. But as the pressure rises alongside the threat to his life, even they William must begin to question-and to fear.

My thoughts:
So this is the second book in the trilogy, the first being The Boleyn King and the third The Boleyn Reckoning (due out in 2014). The Boleyn Deceit picks up where The Boleyn King ends. I would STRONGLY recommend, nay INSIST that you read The Boleyn King before you read this book. It is most certainly not a stand-alone novel.

I really enjoyed this novel, however I honestly have to say that it just wasn’t quite as good as the first book. I found that there was a lot more politics in this book (not necessarily a bad thing) and the love story … oh the love story … It occasionally got on my nerves in the first book but OMG … Half way through the book I wanted to reach in an literally punch William and Minuette in their faces (I couldn’t do it to Dominic, I have a soft spot for him). Speaking of William – I am really, really beginning to dislike him. A lot. Even sweet Minuette began to get on my nerves.

There were some redeeming parts of the book – I really enjoyed the political intrigue, and the reveal of the mystery from the first book, but it was a duo of new characters and one of the holy quartet who made the book for me. I loved the introduction of Dr. John Dee and of Francis Walsingham, and of course Elizabeth. I wanted more of Elizabeth!!! She is such a fiery personality and she is an absolutely fascinating personality.

As for the ending …. GRRRR!!! I hate cliff-hangers! I cannot wait to get my hands on the third installment to see how the rest of the story plays out. I definitely hope that Elizabeth gets a larger role.  

Side note ... Yet another gorgeous cover. Love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment